Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Garden 2012- New Finds and Plantings!


Spring in Michigan started with 90 degree temps in mid-March this year!
This super ADORABLE Indian hand carved Elephant planter is made of heavy terracotta.  I found it at a second hand shop for 20 bucks!  It's currently filled with Thai basil.

In this bed:
Knock out roses, lavender, columbine, violas, thyme, epazote, Thai basil



to the left of the planter is a globe artichoke plant I found at Lowes.  
 I have never seen these plants so far North.  I'm hoping it does well in our climate.

Baby Shetland kale sproutlings from seed sent to me from the Shetland Islands last fall-
This stuff is so rare that you cannot buy it and is protected by the UK government. It's a very ancient species.  I started them indoors and have since planted them in a raised seedling bed called a ''plantiecrub" in Scots.

I also started/planted 85 heirloom Black Krim and Black Prince tomatoes, lacinato black Tuscan kale, Red Kale, tons of herbs, tomatillos, peas, and other veggies so far.  It's still quite early in the season and I have so much more to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment